Project Quilting Challenge

This week, I have really stepped out of my box.

  1. I don’t like foundation piecing
  2. I usually use a long arm to quilt but don’t do ruler work so the straight lines/geometric shapes had to be done on my domestic machine with a walking foot
  3. I usually don’t worry about fussy cutting and fussy placement
  4. never use bias tape or bias binding
  5. I don’t like to use the fusible batting but had some on hand for a placemat project so I used it and it worked really well!

I picked up the orange fabric a couple of weeks ago because I loved the beetles and flowers in it. I have had the green with the winged bugs for awhile now. The pink and green have been in my stash a short time but that jade green, I have had it forever!

Here you can see some of the quilting. I used three different colors of thread- embroidery thread so it was shiny and matched well.

The foundation I used was from the above book but I did change is slightly so that there were no squares! It originally had a nine patch in those spaces where I put the orange fabric around the center star.

I would have preferred hot pink for the binding but this is the closest color I had on hand- The first time I have used pre packaged double fold bias tape for binding. I had it on hand to make some pot holders with. I am very happy with how this turned out and I feel proud of myself for even giving it a go since it is not my usual jam!

I have enough of the green bug fabric that I could make some placemats to match and have this on my table- Great! Another UFO project!

Thanks for the challenge Kim!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s